Network security is of prime importance in today's world, hence network scanning, or rather network vulnerability scanning, has a crucial role to play as regards the overall security of any enterprise and the data that it handles.
Here's a look at the top 10 useful network vulnerability scanning tools available today:
HackerCombat Network Security Scanner
HackerCombat Network Security Scanner uses ATP (Advanced Threat Protection), the cloud-based filtering service that protects you from unknown malware and viruses, giving robust zero-day protection and protection from harmful links, in real time. Sensitive data exfiltration, port scans, IP protocol scans etc are the highlights of this security scanner. The other highlights are:
• Scanning perimeter networks for vulnerabilities and threats.
• Detailed network security report.
• Checking for network security misconfigurations.
• Scans all devices, checks for all kinds of vulnerabilities.
• Checks for weak passwords, badly configured Proxy Servers, weak SNMP community strings, TLS/SSL ciphers etc.
• Checks for anonymous FTP access, DNS zone transfer, DNS cache poisoning attacks etc.
An open source tool, OpenVAS can be used as a central service providing effective vulnerability assessment tools. These help in vulnerability scanning and in vulnerability management as well. The highlights are:
• Compatible with different OSs.
• Comprehensive vulnerability assessment done, identifies issues related to security in servers and all devices.
• Scan engine constantly updated with Network Vulnerability Tests.
Open source tool developed by Rapid7 and used for vulnerability scans and network checks. The highlights are:
• Automatically detects new devices, evaluates vulnerabilities when they access network.
• Can be incorporated into a Metaspoilt framework.
• Takes into account the age of the vulnerability, decides fixes based on its priority.
• Monitors vulnerability exposure in real-time.
Open source scanner, highly in demand for detecting probable issues and vulnerabilities. Highlights:
• Checks if server versions are outdated.
• Performs various tests on web servers and scans hazardous files, programs.
• Tests web server in the least possible time.
• Scans HTTPS, HTTPd, HTTP etc and multiple ports of a specific server.
Vulnerability assessment solution that is very much in demand and used by enterprises, organizations etc to manage security risks. Highlights are:
• Uses a wide-ranging view of the network to spot issues.
• Uses open standards to help integrate risk management, vulnerability management into the different processes of a business.
Widely used network protocol analyzer, a really powerful scanning tool. The highlights are:
• Checks networks at a microscopic level.
• Captures issues online while the analysis is done offline.
• Runs on all platforms- Windows, Linux, MacOS etc.
Also known as Aircrack-NG, this scanning tool is used by many enterprises and agencies. The highlights are:
• Helps in network auditing.
• Focuses on all areas of WiFi security.
• Helps retrieve lost keys by capturing data packets.
• Supports multiple operating systems.
Created by Tenable Network Security, this patented scanner is widely used. The highlights are:
• Timely vulnerability assessment helps block penetrations made by hackers.
• Detects vulnerabilities that permit remote hacking of data.
• Supports multiple operating systems.
Retina CS Community
Open source, web-based vulnerability scanning console, which offers centralized, simplified scanning. Highlights:
• Provides cross-platform vulnerability assessment.
• Offers compliance reporting, patching and configuration compliance etc.
• Provides automated vulnerability assessment for servers, databases, web applications, workstations etc.
• Gives complete support for virtual environments like vCenter integration, virtual app scanning etc.
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
Known popularly as MBSA, it's best for Windows systems. The highlights include:
• Checks groups of computers for missing updates, misconfigurations, security patches etc.
• Suited for medium-sized and small-sized organizations.
• Offers solutions and suggestions after vulnerability scan.
Julia Sowells is a security geek with almost 5+ years of experience, writes on various topics pertaining to network security.