Trend Micro today released a list of five New Year’s Cyber Resolutions to help businesses and individuals have a safe and happy 2014. The driving force behind today’s announcement is the company’s prediction that digital threats will increase in both scope and sophistication next year.
The five resolutions released by Trend Micro are as follows:
- Increase Threat Consciousness: Specifically, Trend Micro urges both businesses and customers to learn the signs of a malware-infected computer, such as changed homepage, slow start-up, random messages and changed file names.
- Care for all Mobile Devices: Be smart about mobile check-ins and don’t share travel plans via social media.
- Clean up: Increase awareness of personal privacy settings and avoid being a “digital hoarder”, i.e.: keeping a messy email inbox, clear browser history often, etc.
- Become Pro-Security: Invest in security software and research ways to keep your computers, both Macs and PCs, safe.
- Manage Passwords: Avoid recycling passwords. Once a password has been used, make a completely different one, and have a separate password for each login you access.
“Unlike hitting the gym everyday, committing to lead a safer and healthier online life is among the simpler New Year's resolutions to keep. A few minutes of your time and the willingness to invest it in changing the way you protect valuable personal information is a good start to the New Year,” says Trend Micro Canada's Marketing Director George McTaggart.