Carbonite said that it is bringing enterprise-class database server backup capabilities to the small business market with the introduction of Enhanced Server Backup. Enhanced Server Backup delivers the best of both worlds – the speed of local backup plus the ultimate safety of cloud backup.With the addition of Enhanced Server Backup, Carbonite now provides a seamless backup experience across all platforms, ranging from PCs, Macs, mobile devices, and now databases including Microsoft SQL Server, Exchange Server, MySQL, Oracle, and SharePoint. Enhanced Server Backup brings the ability to back up the Windows System State, including Active directory, System volume, Certificate server, Boot files, Internet Information Services (IIS), and Registry, means that a server can be restored in its entirety, with no need to reconfigure the operating system or reload applications. This capability is similar to bare metal disk imaging and also offers the advantages of a file-based backup solution.
“Two years ago we introduced our Carbonite Business end-point backup solutions. Since then, more than 50,000 small businesses have chosen Carbonite to protect their PCs, Macs, and file servers. With the addition of Enhanced Server Backup, we now provide enterprise-class database and system state backups so that our customers can rely on one vendor for all their backup, archiving and data protection needs,” David Friend, CEO and Chairman of Carbonite, said in a press release. “By combining Enhanced Server Backup with our current end-point backup solutions, we are providing comprehensive protection for small businesses – securely, affordably and supported by our 200+ person, U.S.-based technical support organization. We continue our commitment to disruptive pricing by including a minimum of 250 GBs of cloud storage with every subscription. Storage may be shared between all a business’s computers. Additional cloud storage costs less than 9 cents per gigabyte per month.”
Carbonite’s Enhanced Server Backup is built on the open source Amanda platform, which has an estimated installed base of over one million computers. Enhanced Server Backup offers:
- “Hot backup” technology to take frequent snapshots of live databases without slowing down response time for users, including Microsoft SQL Server, Exchange Server, SharePoint, Oracle and MySQL.
- The ability to capture the complete Windows system state, including Active Directory, system volume, certificate server, boot files, internet information services (IIS), and registry.
- Real-time reporting across backup sets for performance tuning and regulatory compliance.
- Active notifications via email or a Windows event log and usage reports across multiple systems via the dashboard.
- The ability to run on both Windows and Hyper-V.
- Simple, straightforward graphical interface.
- Unlimited backup sets to both cloud and local devices, providing an extra layer of redundancy.
Enhanced Server Backup also enables users to better manage their backup with a range of configuration settings:
- Set incremental or differential backups reducing the time and size of future backups.
- Manage data transfer compression rate.
- Manage the retention period of a backup.
- Manage bandwidth allocated to backups.
- Run backups manually or on a set schedule that is right for the business.
Enhanced Server Backup includes free Valet Installation, including configuration and testing for an unlimited number of backup sets. With the release of Carbonite Enhanced Server Backup, small businesses can now back up their servers, databases and an unlimited number of computers for $999.99 per year, including 500GBs of cloud storage. Existing Carbonite BusinessPremier subscribers may add Enhanced Server Backup for $399.99.